commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [daemon] Improvements
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2016 19:20:38 GMT
On 08/10/2016 16:46, Guillaume Ch wrote:
> Dear Daemon's developers,
>
> I'm working on some improvements for Apache Daemon on my Github fork of
> your mirror and I would like to know your opinions about these
> changes/involvements :
> - Removing MSVC specific features (e.g try/catch);
> - Building C sources with MinGW for windows; [1]
> - Migrating Makefiles to CMake scripts. I can build with any C compilers
> supported by CMake generators (and supporting resource files).

Given the history of this component, I suspect the current Windows build
environment is similar to the common build environment shared by the
Tomcat Native components [2].

With all of the change above, my question would be "Why?". What are the
benefits of the proposed changes? What are the impacts on the other
supported operating systems?

> What I plan to do for a major version (except if you considered these
> features as useless):
> - Remove CMake and Maven and use Gradle instead;
> - Create a Java interface independent of any platforms;
> - Pruning useless features when the previously mentioned interface will be
> functional (e.g declaring start/stop methods etc.);

Taking Daemon off in a new direction isn't really what the community
needs right now. What the community needs is support (in terms of fixes
and releases) for the 1.0.x series.

> Another idea :
> - Publish executables to mvn repository

+1.