commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Changes on the 3.x line
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2016 22:34:00 GMT
On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 22:48:49 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 12/10/2016 à 18:45, Gilles a écrit :
>
>> So, what you say in substance is that you'd rather _wait_ for
>> someone to come by who will want to work with you on 3.x, rather
>> than continue with people, here and now, a work (CM4) that
>> started more than 3 years ago.
>
> To be clear, I have no plan to maintain CM 3. I applied a small bug
> fix
> to CM 4, I just thought it would be nice to backport it if ever a new
> CM
> 3 release is required. That's all.

That backport served as an example that could lead to a broader
reflection on the future of a project and the "community" around
it; but you ignored it, again, by expressly cutting that part of
my message.

> I'm doing open source mostly for fun, my motivation is to help and
> make
> something useful to others, and if a fixed CM 3 makes someone happy,
> then so am I.

I am sad that those one-shots gives the false impression that
CM3 (or CM4) is alive.

Some people here could have the project to maintain CM3; even
if I'd prefer that they would work on CM4, they are of course
free to decide where they want to contribute.

However, I find it extremely uneasy that there is no roadmap
whatsoever; only criticism of what I proposed.

Is that fix worth a CM 3.7 release?
If not, and nobody works towards a release, what did the
reporter actually gain?

What is the added value of this project if there is no
decision to move forward?
As I indicated a few months ago, the code sits there; and
the more time passes, the less it will attract new
contributors.

Gilles