commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Commons Wiki] Update of "CompressRoadmap" by StefanBodewig
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2016 13:32:03 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "CompressRoadmap" page has been changed by StefanBodewig:
https://wiki.apache.org/commons/CompressRoadmap?action=diff&rev1=19&rev2=20

  Compress has seen several releases of the 1.x series.  While the factory and stream APIs
have proven to be useful there are pieces that "don't feel right" and cannot be changed without
breaking backwards compatibility.  Also Compress' API has been designed for Java 1.4 and could
benefit from generics and enums.

- The idea of a 2.0 release that is allowed to break backwards compatibility has come up more
than once over a span of three years or even longer.  This page will gather requirements and
design ideas in the hope that a real implementation will be created based on the existing
code.
+ The idea of a 2.0 release that is allowed to break backwards compatibility has come up more
than once over a span of five years or even longer.  This page will gather requirements and
design ideas in the hope that a real implementation will be created based on the existing
code.

- A starting ground for some design ideas is http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/compress/branches/compress-2.0/
- nothing carved into stone, yet.  Feedback, ideas and corrections more than welcome.
+ A starting ground for some design ideas is the compress-2.0 branch https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-compress.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/compress-2.0;hb=refs/heads/compress-2.0
- nothing carved into stone, yet.  Feedback, ideas and corrections more than welcome.

  == General ==

- * SETTLED: Compress 2.0 will require Java7 at compile and run time.
+ * SETTLED: Compress 2.0 will require Java8 at compile and run time.

  * external dependencies?

@@ -32, +32 @@

  * common solutions for streaming

-   pack200 has to use a temporary files or hold the result in memory as it uses an API that
converts a stream with a single call.  The archive classes that need random access can currently
only work on files.  Some options have been discussed on the mailing list in this thread:
http://markmail.org/thread/2jr5qapuynnxnfx6
+   pack200 has to use a temporary files or hold the result in memory as it uses an API that
converts a stream with a single call.  The archive classes that need random access can currently
only work on files.  This will change for 1.13 with support for SeekableByteChannel

  * read-only support

-   The list of formats we ca read but not write seems to be growing.  Do we want to add some
sort of meta-data for a format we can query to know whether it supports writing?  Might be
part of the "make factories  configurable" solution.
+   The list of formats we can read but not write seems to be growing.  Do we want to add
some sort of meta-data for a format we can query to know whether it supports writing?  Might
be part of the "make factories  configurable" solution.

  * events for certain stages of (un)archiving/(un)compressing?

@@ -50, +50 @@

  * unify common stuff in ArchiveEntry

-   this includes extracting a common representation for modes/persmission (COMPRESS-136)
but doesn't need to stop there.  There is a discussion thread that is more than three years
old with ideas about this: http://markmail.org/thread/fsxtzs3vsepycu25
+   this includes extracting a common representation for modes/permission (COMPRESS-136) but
doesn't need to stop there.  There is a discussion thread that is more than three years old
with ideas about this: http://markmail.org/thread/fsxtzs3vsepycu25

  * embrace generics at least for the {{{getNextEntry}}}/{{{putArchiveEntry}}} methods