commons-dev mailing list archives

From Shane S <shane.sims...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Creating a class of number theory tools
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2016 01:18:32 GMT
Hi Gilles,

Thank you for your response. These methods are used primarily in
computational number theory applications. I myself came across the need for
these algorithms when studying and implementing traditional and proposed
variants of the Quadratic Sieve integer factorisation algorithm. But these
methods are also required for other factorisation algorithms such as the
number field sieve. As a result, the library additions I propose would also
have cryptographic applications.
These methods are no more complex than  modInverse() in BigInteger and from
my limited experience, have found the use cases to be similar in general.
I can certainly understand the reluctance in light of the limited human
resources. I would like to contribute to the maintenance of the code base
in any way I can. I have no experience in open source projects like this,
but I am willing to learn.
If it is agreed that the functionality I propose is useful, I could also
commit to maintaining itI

Thank you