commons-dev mailing list archives

From Shane S <shane.sims...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] Creating a class of number theory tools
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 17:16:03 GMT
Hello all,

I would like to create a class of some common number theory methods for the
Commons Math library (or add methods the the BigInteger class). I am
motivated to do this following a summer research project at my university
(University of Calgary). I was/am implementing some factoring algorithms
for cryptographic applications and found that there were no libraries to do
things such as:
- Determining quadratic residuocity by way of Jacobi/Legendre symbol
calculation
- Determining the square root (mod p)
- variations of the Sieve of Eratosthenes for producing a list of primes

I also noticed the lack of library support for these operations while doing
my first math based crypto course, as did many of my peers. I think that
the increasing practical use of these methods warrants their inclusion in
the Commons Math library.
I implemented Java methods for these operations for my own use and would
like to contribute them to Commons Math. I am looking for any comments
about this, specifically if the developer and commiter community here would
support this. I am completely new to open source projects and welcome any
advise.

Sincerely,

    Shane Sims