commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RDF] jena, rdf4j, json-ld integrations
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 02:49:08 GMT
On 13 Sep 2016 5:14 a.m., "Peter Ansell" <ansell.peter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sesame-4 will not have any more releases due to the Eclipse migration,
> so you will not have a large user-base for that. Even maintaining a
> Sesame-2.8 module may not find many users, as users who are still
> using it for the near future will likely not be migrating to Java-8
> and hence won't be integrating Commons RDF as often as those who are
> already migrating to Eclipse RDF4J.

Right, I will probably just release the sesame4 as a private one-off on
GitHub, I think it would only be useful to a narrow set of users who are
"temporarily stuck" with sesame (as I am in one project I don't want to
maintain too much) but want to wriggle their way over to RDF4j via Commons
RDF, say one class/module at the time.

Thankfully rdf4j and sesame live well on the class path together! (But I
guess that could break if RDF 4J moves on to way newer dependencies)

> Developing an integration for JSONLD-Java in the same way as I have
> setup the others with their own repositories is a possibility for that
> aspect, similar to:
>
> https://github.com/jsonld-java/jsonld-java-clerezza
> https://github.com/jsonld-java/jsonld-java-rdf2go

Yes, that could be a possibility, but I think Commons is still not quite
ready for "micro" git repositories as it would complicate web site
maintenance and release processes. it's easy enough to split out the
modules with git subtree, but not if you keep developing on both sides
afterwards. :)

> However, both Jena and Sesame/RDF4J have ended up having their
> JSONLD-Java integrations moved back into their core repositories so it
> isn't the same for everyone.

Yes, I think that would be good goal, so perhaps the JSONLD-Java model
would work here as well, then it does not matter so much "how integrated"
Commons RDF gets where - Commons could still provide an empty "glue" Maven
artifact to depend on such external integrations (or just list them on the
site)

BTW, as I'm currently the sole author of the commonsrdf-rdf4j integration I
could contribute it separately to Eclipse under the EPL, if so desired.