commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RNG] modules vs projects
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2016 16:13:44 GMT
Hi All,

[Note my careful use of the terms "project", "component", and "module"]

Pardon my jumping in late... If some of this is leading to more than one
commons-rng component within Apache Commons, I would be against that; Maven
modules are a perfect match for this concept.

Please allow me to relate my experience with Apache Log4j 2 where we have
one project with 26 modules (granted there are 8 non-production modules:
samples and benchmarks). For most releases, there are interesting and
significant changes in only one module (log4j-core). A Log4j 2 release
means a release of all modules and a guarantee that all modules work
together (of course).

Another example is Apache HttpComponets where there are several components
and some components have several modules. This is not a trivial environment
to set up as a project developer (unless I made a mess of my own personal
set up, not unlikely! ;-)

So far, Commons-RNG is a small and focused component related in theme to
Commons-Math but these are not dependent on each other, so we have to keep
that explanation clear.

I would think that it would be better to have modules potentially come,
morph, go, within one component.

3c,
Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>