commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [rng] Usefulness of benchmarks
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2016 14:55:12 GMT
Hi.

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 15:20:39 +0300, Artem Barger wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 3:01 PM, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
>> "RandomStressTester" is in Commons _Rng_ "src/userguide" example
>> code, while I've just committed "RandomNumberGeneratorBenchmark"
>> in Commons _Math_ userguide examples (branch "develop").
>>
>> There is a README in "src/userguide"; basically, you'd run with a
>> command similar to:
>>
>>   $ mvn -q exec:java \
>>
>> -Dexec.mainClass=org.apache.commons.math4.userguide.rng.RandomNumberGeneratorBenchmark
>> \
>>    -Dexec.args="MT ISAAC JDK"
>>
>> where the "exec.args" contains a list of "RandomSource" identifiers.
>>

> ​I've ​got following results and they look similar to ones you have
> in the
> table :/
>
> [...]

It seems that the behaviour changes with the number of generators
being tested. I don't know what to make out of that...

Personally, I think that these codes are so small/fast (wrt to
common use of Java) that such micro-benchmarking measurements
border to an exercise in futility.

Concerning the subject of this thread, I guess that we are back to
square one, i.e. no more knowledge about it was gathered here than
we had in December 2015, even though back then the benchmark score
was the sole argument put forward for constraining the design.

:-(

Regards,
Gilles