commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [RNG] modules vs projects
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2016 14:20:17 GMT
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 09:49:52 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 29/09/2016 à 14:01, Gilles a écrit :
>
>>> ​I think other modules will be somehow dependent on rng-core, so
>>> change
>>> in core will require additional release of the module.​
>>
>> Wrong!
>>
>> See previous post(s).
>
> Actually Artem is right. Changes in rng-core are likely to be used in
> rng-utils. For example the typed factory that you wanted to move to
> rng-utils would have to be updated every time a new random number
> generator is added to rng-core. New methods added to RandomSource or
> UniformRandomProvider could also be useful to rng-utils classes.

Here and in the other post, you are totally oblivious to my POV.

The potential target audience of the component which I proposed
does not need what I called "rng-utils".
[In particular, they don't need the factory you want to use place
of the one I've coded.]
The target audience is those applications that would need a RNG
implemented in Java. Period.

In that use-case, the complexity is what you create by forcing
the "rng-core" version (of a limited-scope library, which is a
good thing) to step in sync with the changes in "rng-utils" (a
non-limited library, which is not a bad thing per se, but
definitely _more_ complex to manage).

Gilles