commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Tompkins <chtom...@gmail.com>
Subject [MATH] Thoughts on some short term goals?
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2016 13:32:20 GMT
Hello,

Given that the long term goals of commons-math are fairly uncertain, I would like to attempt
working with some short term goals. The hope here is to think about questions along the lines
of: "what can be done today/this week/this month,” with the goal aiming at chipping away
at what I’ll call, for lack of a better term, technical debt. I have a couple of thoughts
and am curious to see what folks generally think here. Here are some ideas that immediately
come to mind:

Items achievable in a few hours:
Move to the develop branch to the master branch.
Get travis-ci/coveralls working for pull requests.

Items achievable in a few days:
Deprecation of the packages that duplicate functionality with commons-rng.
Obvious bug fixes.

Items achievable in a month(s) or so.
A release 3.6.2 with the deprecation of the overlap with commons-rng.
Some solidifying of the more base level functionality such that we might be able to rely upon
commons-math as the core of the mathematical functionality for commons generally (if we do
indeed intend to have modularized mathematical commons functionality).

All that said, these are just thoughts, and I’m completely open ended on direction here
but want to avoid letting the project sit latent for too long. I was just thinking that with
so much uncertainty for the project, it might be better to just be intentionally short sighted
with the hopes of gaining some momentum and let natural evolution begin to take place. What
do you guys think?

Cheers,
-Rob