commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: commons-rng git commit: CheckStyle.
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2016 17:44:26 GMT
On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 09:02:34 +0300, Artem Barger wrote:
>> 11 авг. 2016 г., в 2:08, Rob Tompkins <chtompki@gmail.com>
>> написал(а):
>>
>> I would guess that we would want to be compatible with the oldest
>> version of Java possible dictated out of necessity. By that I mean if
>> there's something of considerable substance that a newer version
>> affords us, then we should upgrade. But that's only really the thought
>> that runs through my head. I'm not really tied to it.
>
> I think it could make sense to provide support to something similar
> to SplittableRandom while releasing a new PRNG components within
> commons. Which available from JDK 1.8.

Excerpt from the commit log:
---CUT---
commit ed083eaf22c4c8403660c48bee7945d40edee6d9
Author: Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
Date:   Tue Aug 9 19:03:39 2016 +0200

     Bumped JDK dependency to Java 6 (due to "Arrays.copyOf").

     Unlikely to loose many potential users w.r.t. Java 5.

commit bb0886f84ba23032306c6376987f92ce653f181d
Author: Gilles <erans@apache.org>
Date:   Tue Aug 9 16:02:08 2016 +0200

     Make codebase Java 5 compatible.

     The public API is comprised of 1 enum (with factory methods) and 2
interfaces.
     The "internal" classes would not gain tremendously from more recent
programming constructs (cf. changes in this commit).
     Additional RNG implementations would be mostly low-level code (e.g.
bit manipulation) also unlikely to be dependent on a modern JDK.

     If and when considered, higher level utilities (e.g.
"Stream"-based) could be implemented in another module, with more
stringent requirements.
---CUT---

So, we could readily experiment with a multi-modules project.
I guess that the pom.xml needs further adjustment to generate
several JARs (say "commons-rng-core" and "commons-rng-tools").

First question: is it possible?

Regards,
Gilles