commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Configuration 2.1 based on RC3
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2016 19:37:13 GMT

Am 12.08.2016 um 20:11 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Dennis Kieselhorst <deki@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 12.08.2016 um 01:18 schrieb Gary Gregory:
>>> -1
>>>
>>> From src zip: ASC, MD5, SHA1 OK.
>>>
>>> Building with:
>>>
>>> Apache Maven 3.0.5 (r01de14724cdef164cd33c7c8c2fe155faf9602da;
>> 2013-02-19
>>> 05:51:28-0800)
>>> Maven home: E:\Java\apache-maven-3.0.5
>>> Java version: *1.6.0_45*, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
>>> Java home: E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_45\jre
>>> Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252
>>> OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"
>>>
>> Is it really necessary that the site build is possible with JDK 1.6?
>

> For me, keeping it simple is nice. If we say we have different requirements
> for building jars vs. building the site, we are making our lives more
> difficult IMO.

Okay, I have no interest in fixing the site build on Java 1.6 because I
do not think it is worth the effort. I belief that not many users will
build the site, and even less will do this on a JDK 1.6. It may also
well be the case that it is not possible to come to a solution which
supports both Java 1.6 and 1.8.

So from my PoV we have the following options regarding this release:

a) Accept the RC as is and ignore this issue.

b) Add a note to the building documentation that the site build requires
a minimum JDK of 1.7. This is a change of the site and does not require
another RC.

c) Switch to JDK 1.7 for [configuration]. I do not think that this is a
good solution because then all Java 6 users are out of the game for no
good reason.

d) I step back as RM and make room for more capable people.

Please tell me your preference.

Oliver