commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Configuration 2.1 based on RC2
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2016 19:50:21 GMT
On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de>
wrote:

> Am 01.08.2016 um 11:04 schrieb Dennis Kieselhorst:
> > Hi Benedikt!
> >
> >> The build log is here [1]. It looks like some generated classes are
> checked
> >> by checkstyle which causes the build to fail. The build works with Java
> 7
> >> and Java 8. So my vote again is -1 because I think mvn clean install
> should
> >> work with the minimum required JDK out of the box. Sorry.
> >>
> > That's strange, I don't see why it should behave differently. Anyway
> > I've added an exclude for it (this was already done for rat and clirr).
> > This time I installed the same versions you used to build it, so next
> > time it should be successful. Sorry for being lazy last time...
>
> Many thanks, Dennis.
>
> I see the checkstyle plugin has a failOnViolation flag which is *true*
> per default. Should we set it to *false* (this would be my preference).
>
> I will leave the vote open for now. To make it clear: There is no
> problem with the artifacts, they are fully compatible with Java 1.6.
> There is only an issue when building with 1.6 which should not affect
> many users.
>
> However, I am skeptical whether this vote will pass.

Well, yeah, the build should work out of the box. With Java 6 and 7, for
'mvn clean site', I get:

[INFO] --- maven-checkstyle-plugin:2.15:check (default) @
commons-configuration2 ---
[INFO] There are 1238 errors reported by Checkstyle 6.1.1 with
E:\temp\rc\commons-configuration2-2.1-src/conf/checkstyle.xml ruleset.
[ERROR]
target\generated-sources\javacc\org\apache\commons\configuration2\plist\ParseException.java[0]
(javadoc) JavadocPackage: Missing package-info.java file.

I cannot imagine Java 8 would be any different.

We have a mini-mess here:

- checkstyle's check is called from the build and it fails.
- Did it ever work?
- Did it work and then the code degraded between the last release and this
code base? The 2.0 checkstyle is clean:
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-configuration/checkstyle.html
- Have the checkstyle default rules changed between the checkstyle version
used in 2.0 and now?
- Have the checkstyle custom rules we use changed between the checkstyle
version used in 2.0 and now?
- The code could be fixed to match the rules of course.

Gary