commons-dev mailing list archives

From Artem Barger <ar...@bargr.net>
Subject Re: commons-rng git commit: CheckStyle.
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2016 18:07:05 GMT
How do you differ between core and tools? What should be included in each? Do you mean to further
split up current commons-rng?

Sounds possible once decided how you'd like to divide it.

Отправлено с iPhone

> 11 авг. 2016 г., в 20:44, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> написал(а):
>
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 09:02:34 +0300, Artem Barger wrote:
>>> 11 авг. 2016 г., в 2:08, Rob Tompkins <chtompki@gmail.com> написал(а):
>>>
>>> I would guess that we would want to be compatible with the oldest version of
Java possible dictated out of necessity. By that I mean if there's something of considerable
substance that a newer version affords us, then we should upgrade. But that's only really
the thought that runs through my head. I'm not really tied to it.

>> I think it could make sense to provide support to something similar
>> to SplittableRandom while releasing a new PRNG components within
>> commons. Which available from JDK 1.8.
>
> Excerpt from the commit log:
> ---CUT---
> commit ed083eaf22c4c8403660c48bee7945d40edee6d9
> Author: Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
> Date:   Tue Aug 9 19:03:39 2016 +0200
>
>    Bumped JDK dependency to Java 6 (due to "Arrays.copyOf").
>
>    Unlikely to loose many potential users w.r.t. Java 5.
>
> commit bb0886f84ba23032306c6376987f92ce653f181d
> Author: Gilles <erans@apache.org>
> Date:   Tue Aug 9 16:02:08 2016 +0200
>
>    Make codebase Java 5 compatible.
>
>    The public API is comprised of 1 enum (with factory methods) and 2 interfaces.
>    The "internal" classes would not gain tremendously from more recent programming constructs
(cf. changes in this commit).
>    Additional RNG implementations would be mostly low-level code (e.g. bit manipulation)
also unlikely to be dependent on a modern JDK.

>    If and when considered, higher level utilities (e.g. "Stream"-based) could be implemented
in another module, with more stringent requirements.