commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [rng] JARs with different dependencies within the same component?
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2016 12:00:04 GMT

>>> (https://github.com/x-stream/xstream/blob/master/xstream/pom.xml),
>>> it
>>> already does this (since
>>> years), currently to support lambda expressions. It declarers
>>> simply
>>> second compiler execution. Note, there's a bug in Maven that forces
>>> you to
>>> define as many excludes in the second execution as in the first
>>> one.
>>
>> IIUC, it is not exactly what I had in mind, which would amount to
>> having two separate JARs: "core" and "utils".
>> "core" is anticipated to be stable (hopefully) while "utils" could
>> evolve faster and possibly in a non-compatible way.
>>
>> I.e. we could have
>>
>> core-1.0
>>
>> utils-1.0
>>    depends on core-1.0
>>
>> utils-1.1
>>    depends on core-1.0
>>
>> utils-2.0
>>    depends on core-1.0
>>
>> core-1.1 (e.g. after adding a new RNG implementation)
>>
>> utils-2.1
>>    depends on core-1.1
>
> Well, a commons component has *one* version. You can introduce
> another
> artifact (just like Artem proposed), but there's no independent
> release
> cycle.

That's what I was afraid of; in this case, it would defeat the purpose:
We shouldn't have to release "core-2.0" (thus a with change of the
top-level package name), just because we want to fix something in the
"utils" code.

Given this situation, would it be possible to consider a separate
component: "commons-rng-utils"?

Regards,
Gilles