commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Checkstyle settings
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2016 19:31:28 GMT

Am 31.07.2016 um 22:24 schrieb Matt Sicker:
> Fixing all the checkstyle errors first is kind of a prerequisite to
> enabling it by default.
>
> On 31 July 2016 at 15:10, Charles Honton <chas@honton.org> wrote:
>
>> Why wouldn’t we want build to fail early if incorrect style is used?

In this special case, the build was broken on JDK 1.6 which is blocking
the configuration 2.1 release.

In general, IMHO it is too strict to let the build fail because a
bracket is set incorrectly or something like this. It is fine if this
generates a warning, and these warnings can be fixed before a release.
But I do not want to be forced to fix all style violations at any time.
Especially, as such violations will creep in nevertheless (somebody does
a quick commit without running the full build) and then cause problems
in the future.

Oliver