commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [rng] JARs with different dependencies within the same component?
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:58:53 GMT
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 00:42:47 +0200, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Gilles wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 15:53:44 +0300, Artem Barger wrote:
>>> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Gilles
>>> <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>

>>> I think following layout should actually work:
>>>
>>> commons-rng-parent (pom) v1.0
>>> |____commons-rng-core (jar) v1.0
>>> |____commons-rng-tools (jar) v1.0​
>>>
>>> ​And suppose you want to update commong-rng-tools from v1.0 to v2.0
>>> it will
>>> look like:​
>>>
>>> commons-rng-parent (pom) v1.1
>>> |____commons-rng-core (jar) v1.0
>>> |____commons-rng-tools (jar) v2.0​
>>>
>>> ​where you do not really have to touch version of core component.
>>> Unless
>>> this is somehow
>>> restricted by ASF commons coding standards or something.​
>>
>> The restriction, as Jörg wrote, is that a single component can only
>> release artifacts with the same version.
>
> It's also the tooling. What should Maven tag for a release?

I just wanted to have 2 separate releases.
Do you mean that it would require "pom-core.xml" and "pom-utils.xml"?

And consequently, it would be functionally equivalent to 2 separate
components?
I'm fine with that (hence my post for considering it).

>> If we have to put the tools in a separate component, it will already
>> inherit from "commons-parent". Then, is there an interest to define
>> an additional "commons-rng-parent" level.
>
> I don't think you'd gain something for an additional parent.

I agree (I forgot the question mark in the previous sentence).

Gilles