commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [MATH]: Current state of project?
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2016 16:55:56 GMT
Side questions, below

[ ... ]
> OK. Newcomers are free to work on whatever they want, whether it is
> fixing new bugs, refactoring code, creating new components. Whatever.
> And that doesn’t apply to just Commons Math but pretty much every
> project at the ASF. No one should have to tell you that that is allowed.
> As you have said a million times, you are currently the only one
> committing to CM so it is only going to be pretty much you who blocks
> commits.

[ ... ]
> You go to the incubator so that you have an lower bar for giving commit
> rights to people who are interested so you can build a community.
>
> Ralph
[orcmid]

 1. My understanding is that any ASF committer has commit rights to Commons.  That is one
case for a low barrier to entry. Of course, any committer will want to learn the way-of-working
at Commons and any interesting subprojects, but commit rights is not itself an issue in this
case, yes?
    Has that changed?

 2. I am not clear about the idea of a low-barrier to entry as a committer in an incubator
versus here at Commons.  Although a common practice is to invite contributors to be committers
and PPMC members at the same time, and there is emphasis on growing community, this need not
be particularly different at a Top Level Project.  (Commons has the rather unique characteristic
of many loosely-coupled subcomponents and I can't speak to how that figures in governance.)
    What is the thinking that it would be easier to grow in the incubator?  Visibility?  Focus?

 - Dennis