commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CRYPTO]1.0.0 Release Plan
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2016 17:37:18 GMT
On 8 July 2016 at 18:31, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Marcelo Vanzin <vanzin@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Answering based on old knowledge of this code, but I don't believe it
>> has changed...
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > The delivered jar file contains a native .so file, and this .so file is
>> > _extracted_ and _installed_ on the user's machine at runtime? See
>> > NativeCodeLoader.extractLibraryFile().
>>
>> It's not really installed, but copied to a temp location. There might
>> be flags to configure a permanent location (which would bypass this
>> code that finds the library inside the jar), but I don't remember if
>> that was added to crypto.
>>
>> This feature is borrowed from Snappy's java bindings, and is pretty
>> helpful on distributed applications where a "launcher" app starts
>> processes on a whole bunch of different machines (and needs these
>> libraries).
>>
>> > Does this mean that the jar will contain all possible native formats
>> (.so,
>> > .dll, what about 32 vs. 64 bit, or are we only dealing with 64 bit?) and
>> > extract the right one at runtime for the current platform? Seems wasteful
>> > in space but portable and clever.
>>
>> That's the goal if multiple OSes are to be supported; I'm not sure how
>> easy it would be to achieve with the current build system available
>> (haven't really looked into it), but I have ideas of how to hack
>> something like that in maven (using a few separate jobs per OS + a
>> final job to collect everything).
>>
>> I've heard comments here about using JNA, so maybe this whole
>> discussion will eventually become moot?
>>

> The JNA code is in place, it's just much slower than the JNI path.

Have you managed to get it going on Windows?

So far I have failed.
It's tricky getting JNA to find the crypto DLL, and then it hangs for
me on the ERR_load_crypto_strings() call.
[Or it is so slow that it seems like it is hanging]

I was able to get SSLeay_version(int type) working in a simple app
that does not do the ERR_load call.
But if I leave out the ERR_load from OpenSslNativeJna.java the tests still hang.