commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [MATH] what a commons-TLP split could look like
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 15:29:45 GMT
Hi Jochen,

Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Maybe. That could depend on whether there is anyone at Commons that would
>> want to participate in the component. Another option is to follow the
>> pattern used by httpclient. I believe they took the last version of
>> commons httpclient and left a pointer to it in their new web site. But
>> what followed as a TLP was completely different and wasn’t binary
>> compatible. The community seemed to be completely fine with that.
>
> Quite right. But I definitely cannot imagine anyone desiring three
> development lines (Hipparchus, a fork outside Commons, and a component
> inside).

Why three? OK, we cannot control Hipparchus, so we can let it aside. The
proposal of Eric and Gilles just describe a scenario where some code of the
big dumping ground CM that has a wide audience and only slightly tied to
deep mathematical theory is ripped out into individual components of Commons
and the rest is moved into a Math TLP and divided there. So where do you see
two development lines at Apache (at least for the same code)?

Cheers,
Jörg