commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Commons Math (r)evolution
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 21:25:36 GMT
On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 10:10:17 +0300, Artem Barger wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 3:49 AM, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>

>> According to JIRA, among 180 issues currently targeted for the
>> next major release (v4.0), 139 have been resolved (75 of which
>> were not in v3.6.1).
>>

> ​Huh, it's above of 75% completion :)​

Everybody is welcome to review the "open" issues and comment
about them.

Those about which there is no comment are likely to point to
unsupported code...

>> So, on the one hand, a lot of work has been done already, but
>> on the other, a lot remains.
>> Some issues have been pending for several years, in particular
>> those that required a major refactoring (e.g. in the packages
>> "o.a.c.m.linear" and "o.a.c.m.optim").
>>
>> The remaining work is unlikely to be completed soon since the
>> fork of Commons Math has drastically reduced the development
>> capacity.
>>
>> Moreover, as whole areas of the codebase have become in effect
>> unsupported, it would be deceiving to release a version 4.0 of
>> Commons Math that would include all of it.
>>
>> Of course, anyone who wishes to maintain some of these codes
>> (answer user questions, fix bugs, create enhancements, etc.)
>> is most welcome to step forward.
>>

> ​I can try to cover some of these and maintain relevant code parts.​

Which ones?

>> But I'm not optimistic that the necessary level of support can
>> be achieved in the near future for all the codebase.
>> Waiting for that to happen would entail that code that could
>> be in a releasable state soon will be on hold for an indefinite
>> time.
>>
> What exactly missing to provide reasonable support, apart of
> course of people who left?​

IMO, a maintainer is someone who is able to respond to user
questions and to figure out whether a bug report is valid.

>> The purpose of this post is to initiate a discussion about
>> splitting Commons Math, along the following lines:
>> 1. Identify independent functionality that can be maintained
>>    even by a small (even a 1-person) team within Commons and
>>    make it a new component.
>> 2. Identify functionality that cannot be maintained anymore
>>    inside Commons and try to reach out to users of this
>>    functionality, asking whether they would be willing to
>>    give a helping hand.
>>    If there is sufficient interest, and a new development
>>    team can form, that code would then be transferred to the
>>    Apache "incubator".
>>
>> According to the most recent development activity, the likely
>> candidates for becoming a new component are:
>>  * Pseudo-random numbers generators (package "o.a.c.m.rng")
>>  * Complex numbers (package "o.a.c.m.complex")
>>  * Clustering algorithms (package "o.a.c.m.ml.clustering")
>>

> ​I think that clustering part could be generalized to ML package as a
> whole.​

Fine I guess, since currently the "neuralnet" sub-package's only
concrete functionality is also a clustering method.

Regards,
Gilles