commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New component: Rational numbers
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2016 14:19:35 GMT
On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 06:35:43 -0700, Ralph Goers wrote:
> I agree with Benedikt. Plus, I have no idea who in Commons will
> maintain this component since the “Math” guys say they con’t want it.

I gave concrete (positive) arguments for having the components
submitted
to this vote (see other threads).
Could you please comment on why it would not be a good component?

It's absolutely not that the "Math guys don't want it".
It's that it would better for everybody (developers here and there,
users,
maintainers, release managers, you name it) to have independent
components
for independent and/or core/standard and stable functionality.

When I argued about having flexibility where needed (e.g. in non-mature
"CM" code), the "stability" argument flag is raised to oppose it.

When I argue about enforcing stability (by consciously choosing the
"Commons" home), the "maintenance" is raised even though by definition
of "stability", this is unlikely to be an actual problem.

Actually, the really problematic codes (those currently unsupported)
will
_all_ go to the TLP (for the PMC there to decide what to do).
What I propose as new components are the "easy" stuff, meaning either
fairly easy to understand even by a newcomer, or easy to maintain (lots
of unit tests; small, independent functions etc.).

Having those as components will accelerate the opportunity for wider
adoption (code is "production"-ready, modulo rather trivial adjustments
to their new status), rather than having them wait until the TLP is on
track.

Gilles