commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] New component: Rational numbers
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2016 10:04:40 GMT
On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 08:53:22 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 23/06/2016 à 01:36, Gilles a écrit :
>
>> the only thing that
>> was concretely accepted as "fine" is the fork of Commons Math
>> outside Apache!
>
> I don't remember voting and accepting the fork, do you?

I did not mention "voting".

And "accepted as fine", it was (in a mail by Gary), even though
the real reasons for the fork were not given.

And "fine" was a summary of something like "it is best for all
parties".
Well, I don't think so.

For 10 years, I put up with _many_ things I disliked, because
I am convinced that team work is better (as long as the rules
are well defined). [It's the latter that was lacking in CM and
left so much room for arguing to no end.]

> The fork was not
> a decision from the Commons PMC. We had no other choice than
> acknowledging it, because that's how the open source world works.

Of course, but that's a very short summary.  It leaves out all the
context (like that there hasn't been any attempt to reconcile the
viewpoints).

What I'd have expected is a strong statement that the fork was
indeed not good (as you say below!).

> So
> even if it's indeed "fine" from a legal point of view,

 From a legal POV, we did not have to "acknowledge" anything.

> I don't consider
> it good for the community and the code.

My point, precisely.