commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] New component: Rational numbers
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2016 22:23:12 GMT
On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 11:04:48 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> From the Peanut Gallery,
>
> All of this discussion on (too many at once) [VOTE] threads suggest
> to me that the [VOTE]s are premature.
>
> I don't understand the inclination to conduct [VOTE]s here that are
> at best straw votes and generally serve to establish that there is no
> consensus because of all the qualifications that are placed on the
> few
> [VOTE]s that are apparently cast in the blur of discussions.
>
> I think the key matter is that there is not enough discussion to
> tease out consensus and even find opportunities for lazy consensus.
> Then a [VOTE] becomes a formal ratification in those rare cases where
> such a thing is required (e.g., to back up a personnel action or take
> a resolution to the Board).
>
> I think these discussions about clustering/splitting the Commons Math
> components are very useful and interesting to observe.  The use of
> [VOTE] is worrisome and apparently useless other than for the
> attention it evokes.

There was a vote because Jörg saw it as useful in order to decide
about the next step:
   http://markmail.org/message/2lvirahwxerq36d2

How much longer should we rehash the same arguments from all sides?

The bottom-line of all this is that there are people (new and old
contributors to CM) who wish to do things, and everything that they
say _they_ will do is blocked by people who never contributed to CM
and do not intend to.

Gilles