commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CRYPTO]1.0.0 Release Plan
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2016 23:53:26 GMT
On 24 June 2016 at 11:17, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 June 2016 at 10:08, Sun, Dapeng <dapeng.sun@intel.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thank all for helping review CRYPTO from different angles.
>>
>> According the number of jira remaining issues, I prefer to start the thread for rolling
a RC at June 29th(Next Wednesday). Please feel free to let me know if you have any concern
about it.

> Yes, I do have some concerns.
>
> I think the public API needs to be better documented.
> There are still a lot of public classes that AFAICT don't really
> belong in the API.
> For example
> JceCipher
> OpensslCipher
> JavaCryptoRandom
> OpensslCryptoRandom
> OsCryptoRandom
> These need to be made private/package protected or moved into an
> internal package, or at the very least clearly documented as internal.

I have made them package private.

> Also the way that classes are instantiated is very awkward, as
> properties are not as easy to use as plain variables - String/boolean
> etc - and properties don't offer any type validation.
> Since properties are used in the constructors, it's not enough for 3rd
> parties to just implement the CryptoRandom interface - they also have
> to provide a constructor which takes a Properties instance.

This is still an issue.

> Indeed I wonder why there is a CryptoRandom interface - would it not
> be better for JavaCryptoRandom to extend java.util.Random? The other
> implementations of CryptoRandom do.
> Or maybe none of them should extend j.u.Random?

Likewise, this ought to be resolved.

>> Regards
>> Dapeng

of resolved issues fix in CRYPTO[2]. Recently, we also fixed the legal issue[3].

>> With the first release, we can begin to promote CRYPTO to other Apache components,
like Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, so that they can benefit the higher performance improvement
from Apache Commons Crypto.

>> We plan the following three opening features to next release(I think it should be
1.1.0): GCM support[4], JNACipher implementation[5] and benchmark tool[6]. Please let me know
if there is anything need to be done before the release.