commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject CLA should not be needed for Pull Requests
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2016 15:59:50 GMT
https://github.com/apache/commons-collections/blob/trunk/CONTRIBUTING.md#submitting-changes
says

> Sign the Contributor License Agreement if you haven't already.
> Push your changes to a topic branch in your fork of the repository.
> Submit a pull request to the repository in the apache organization.

However I don't think we should require a CLA for small patches - this
is not an ASF requirement as such patches would still be covered by
the Apache License. We should still require an ICLA for new additions
and anything that looks "large" or "clever".

This was mentioned in http://apetro.ghost.io/apache-contributors-no-cla/
and
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/d29ad962938540f2f2b5cc70e7f0b3d3ec347fc5c619a6498a141fdc@%3Clegal-discuss.apache.org%3E

Am I OK to update that README to clarify that ICLA is not always
needed, or do we have such a policy of always requiring ICLA within
Apache Commons?

We should also update https://commons.apache.org/patches.html
to describe Pull Requests and ICLAs.

--