commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] Need help with contributing for first time
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2016 16:53:18 GMT
Hi, you are welcome to contribute! :-)

Here's a list of all the Commons bug trackers in Jira:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa#10260

I am not sure what you are interested in, you mentioned Commons-Lang,
so something generic?

Here are some ideas:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-492
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CSV-63
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IO-510
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-614

If you are more of a refactoring guys, then we need to kick-start some
ideas/drafts/branch for moving to Java 7/8, e.g. java.nio.file.Path
support for Commons VFS and Commons IO,  or Consumer<> support for
Commons CSV.

To contribute, generally you can just find the repository in GitHub:
https://github.com/apache/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=commons

and do the usual Fork and Pull Request.

If you prefer to not use GitHub, then visit the component's page to
see its source code info and contribute as a patch file in Jira
instead.

For large contributions we might need to ask for an ICLA - but I think
to get started you will be having a go at smaller changes?

On 20 June 2016 at 15:04, Suresh Sarda <sureshssarda@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am new to apache commons and want to contribute to the library. I tried to
> search for issues in commons-lang but all the issues were quite old. I need
> help on which project to contribute or what task to take.
>
> I am fairly comfortable with Java, but I don't have much Open Source
> contribution experience.
>
> Thanks!
> - Suresh

Stian Soiland-Reyes