commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress] Update to Java 7?
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2016 13:48:09 GMT
I don't think we should need that strong arguments to go to Java 7.
Remember being "stuck in the past" with older syntax also puts off
potential new contributors and eventually causes code rot. E.g.
Commons Compress is very InputStream-centric, and so a
try-with-resources could be quite good to simplify the code - arguably
mainly the tests.

Being able to upgrade ZipFile to support SeekableByteChannel and
java.nio.file.Path sounds like a good motivation to me.

We should still be more careful about upgrading to Java 8, but I think
Java 7 should be the expected minimum.

On 24 June 2016 at 14:14, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2016-06-24, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
>> I was looking at some compress code that I wanted to update to
>> switch-on-string but realized the code is still on Java 6.
>
> "still" means 1.12 has been the first release to require Java 6 - 1.11
> was at Java 5 :-)
>
>> OK to bump to Java 7?
>
> If it is useful for us, yes.
>
> try-with-resources is nice but wouldn't convince me. SeekableByteChannel
> to make ZipFile and SevenZFile usable for non-Files would.
>
> Stefan

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718