commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] About binary compatibility
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:50:26 GMT
On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 7:12 PM Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

> I think we should adopt Java 9’s multi-release jars [1] as standard
> practice.  While this won’t let us update our APIs without breaking
> compatibility (which may still be necessary), it will allow us to leverage
> some features in newer versions of Java without worrying about breaking
> backward compatibility.

When do you propose we adopt this new feature?  As of now, the issue is
still listed as "Unresolved" in their issue tracking:

I'm not saying I'm against the idea (on the surface it sounds pretty
interesting).  I'm just saying that it doesn't appear to be an option for
us at present.  We could definitely be one of the early-adopters of this
new feature (one a few select components first) and show folks how it's
done, once it is available.  Common Lang seems like a likely candidate for
such a feature.