commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Put <bert....@ipacc.com>
Subject Re: [validator] Mastercard numbers should be 16, 17, 18, 19 digits long
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2016 14:45:52 GMT
Hi Sebb,

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 6:21 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 June 2016 at 23:15, Bert Put <bert.put@ipacc.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Fist post, so please let me know if I have posted to the wrong place.
>
> Right place for initial contact.
> - but we prefer people not to use their fists up front ;-)
>
> I'm so sorry -- I should not post at the end of the day when misspellings
can get in! :-)

> Well, what we need is documentation on the new format.
> They added some new prefixes recently, see:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VALIDATOR-392
>
> Yes, I'm aware of the new prefixes.  That's what is driving my change --
I'm switching from our home-grown validator to this one.  I do recognize
the requirement for authoritative documentation, which is part of my
problem.  I'm not a direct partner with mastercard so I may not be able to
dig as deeply into the MC documentation as I'd hoped some folks here might
be able to.  I'll keep digging and let you know.

> Have they also added more digits?
> If so, do they apply to all the BINs or only some?
>
> I believe the answers to these questions are *yes*, they've added more
digits.  I suspect (again, anecdotal only), that the driver for more digits
is that the length of the BINs will increase.

> Note that the RE for the current checks is at:
>

> https://github.com/apache/commons-validator/blob/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/validator/routines/CreditCardValidator.java#L137
>
> Thank you.  I did find where I'd have to change the code, but I hesitate
for lack of authoritative documentation.  Is it possible that someone on
the list may have access to better documentation than me?  Meanwhile, I'll
continue to dig.

Regards,    Bert