commons-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Loskutov <losku...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [BCEL6] StackMapTable / StackMapTableEntry gone
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2016 12:15:57 GMT
I think I've found a way to fix the compile problems without introducing back StackMapTable
/ StackMapTableEntry classes to BCEL6, see https://github.com/findbugsproject/findbugs/commit/2e1807e82c18ce646e0298b8d0597e5eeb49c0af

FindBugs is now compilable on BCEL6 latest greatest head, but our tests are failing, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BCEL-273.
I'm working on fixing them and will be back if I will find something to fix on BCEL side.

Thanks all for the feedback & support!

On Wednesday 08 June 2016 10:46 sebb wrote:
> On 8 June 2016 at 10:34, Andrey Loskutov <loskutov@gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 June 2016 10:17 sebb wrote:
> >> OK, so what options are there?
> >>
> >> A) add the classes back in, but deprecate the class(es) and defer to
> >> the new implementation if possible
> >> B) Update Findbugs to use the new design
> >>
> >> Anything else?
> >>
> >> ==
> >>
> >> If the choice is between A and B, then B seems better since it looks
> >> like FindBugs will need some other updates anyway.
> >> However if changing Findbugs would break the plugin API then I think A
> >> would be a better choice.
> >>
> >> I think we need to be pragmatic about the design of any code added to
> >> the replacement for 5.2.
> >> Yes, we should strive for good design, but if that breaks downstream
> >> usage in a way that cannot be fixed, then we should do what works best
> >> overall.
> >
> > One proposal (following A) is https://github.com/apache/commons-bcel/pull/5
>
> Sorry, but that's not suitable as-is because it mixes various different changes.
> And AFAICT it also makes some unnecessary changes.
>
> > I'm not sure regarding the deprecation, since we will have to parse 1.5 class files
forever.

> The intention would be to ensure that new code uses the better API.
>
> > B will unfortunately break FB clients
>
> That's a pity.
>
> > because we had a really bad idea to use those "not released" StackMapTable/StackMapTableEntry
types to our visitor interface, and this since "ever" (2.0.3 released in 2010).

--
Kind regards,
google.com/+AndreyLoskutov