commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Ke, Xianda" <xianda...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [CRYPTO] Documenting the public API before it is too late...
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2016 09:48:34 GMT
Thanks sebb for the feedback. All the  implementation classes shouldn't public. we are working
on this.
A JIRA (CRYPTO-71) was already created for the cipher implementation classes. We will continue.

Regards,
Xianda

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 5:20 PM
To: CommonsDev
Subject: [CRYPTO] Documenting the public API before it is too late...

There does not currently seem to be any indication of which classes are part of the public
API and which are only public or protected because of the restrictions of the Java permission
scheme.

Since there has so far been no release, this is the ideal time to document which APIs are
intended to be public, and which are definitely not.

If the distinction can be made now, then it will make changes to implementation classes much
easier in the future.

One such way is to move all the non-API classes into a separate /internal/ package hierarchy.
The advantages of this are:
- self-documenting
- easy to check which public classes use the internal classes; in particular that they are
not used as parameter or return types.
- easy to exclude the internal classes from Clirr or other compatibility reports

Other schemes are of course possible.

But please can we document the public API before it is too late?

Thanks!