commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] Need help with contributing for first time
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 15:19:46 GMT
Welcome Suresh

On 2016-06-20, Suresh Sarda wrote:

> I am new to apache commons and want to contribute to the library. I
> tried to search for issues in commons-lang but all the issues were
> quite old. I need help on which project to contribute or what task to
> take.

Apart from the advice Stian has given, I can only recommend to turn the
question around. What would you like to work on? What are you interested
in?

I assume you want to contribute because you like programming and this is
supposed to be fun. So try to have fun.

If you are into utility code then take a close look at lang or
collections or io (to name a few). If you know and enjoy image
manipulation, there is imaging. If you fancy bit fiddling, crypto or
compress may be for you. Pick your poison :-)

And don't let the age of open issues get into your way. Some of them
have been open and untouched because nobody knows how to implement/fix
them (or found the time to do so). If you know how to do it and would
enjoy doing so, now is the best time to tackle the issue.

Cheers

        Stefan