commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [MATH] what a commons-TLP split could look like
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 16:46:31 GMT

On 06/21/2016 08:07 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe. That could depend on whether there is anyone at Commons that would want to
participate in the component. Another option is to follow the pattern used by httpclient.
I believe they took the last version of commons httpclient and left a pointer to it in their
new web site. But what followed as a TLP was completely different and wasn’t binary compatible.
The community seemed to be completely fine with that.
> Quite right. But I definitely cannot imagine anyone desiring three
> development lines (Hipparchus, a fork outside Commons, and a component
> inside).
There are many people that desire that:
https://github.com/substack/browserify-handbook#module-philosophy

Having one kitchen per chef allows everyone to see what is being cooked up without stepping
on toes.  Just prepare your dish and show it.  If other people like it, then feel free to
eat, add a little salt, whatever.  What we desire is to see great code get finished and the
best and simplest means / tools for managing that.  Having many parallel lines of development
means ideas get prototyped and evaluated faster.

Here's another fork:
https://github.com/firefly-math/firefly-math

Cheers,
Ole