commons-dev mailing list archives

From Schalk Cronjé <ysb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] NIO Version Questions
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2016 00:18:42 GMT
I have looked at this for some time and played with some ideas. Firstly,
I want to say that atm NIO2 sucks. It sucks because there are no decent
provider implementations. So using the knowledge from VFS2 today, I
think a great contribution can be made to "re-use" the VFS2 projects for
NIO2.

I think one can take two routes:

[1] Provide separate providers i.e. fts, sftp etc. which are simply
loaded separately. This has the advantage that each provider can be
developed independently whilst having some core code that is shared. The
core code could include stuff such as caching, which already has some
good solutions in VFS2

[2] Provide a single front-end scheme, which then also loads the
subsequent protocol i.e. vfs:ftp://. This could potentially then just
load up a VFS system underneath and re-use most of the code as-is. I
think there will be quite some technical problems to solve, as I am not
sure whether the current VFS2 architecture will play along being a NIO2
provider (maybe it will, but I don't know).

Unfortunately I have not seen any way to handle multi-scheme such as
zip:http:// in NIO2. It might be possible to do something like that in
route #2.

My gut feeling, is to just start following #1 for now and roll out
separate providers for each protocol. This will allow for some usage
patterns to develop in the community.