commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE] New component: Rational numbers
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2016 18:13:10 GMT
On 22/06/2016 19:04, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> From the Peanut Gallery,
>
> All of this discussion on (too many at once) [VOTE] threads suggest to me that the [VOTE]s
are premature.

> I don't understand the inclination to conduct [VOTE]s here that are at best straw votes
and generally serve to establish that there is no consensus because of all the qualifications
that are placed on the few [VOTE]s that are apparently cast in the blur of discussions.

> I think the key matter is that there is not enough discussion to tease out consensus
and even find opportunities for lazy consensus.  Then a [VOTE] becomes a formal ratification
in those rare cases where such a thing is required (e.g., to back up a personnel action or
take a resolution to the Board).

> I think these discussions about clustering/splitting the Commons Math components are
very useful and interesting to observe.  The use of [VOTE] is worrisome and apparently useless
other than for the attention it evokes.

+1

I have a very similar impression.

Mark