commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject [DISCUSS][VOTE] New component: Rational numbers
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2016 18:04:48 GMT
>From the Peanut Gallery,

All of this discussion on (too many at once) [VOTE] threads suggest to me that the [VOTE]s
are premature.

I don't understand the inclination to conduct [VOTE]s here that are at best straw votes and
generally serve to establish that there is no consensus because of all the qualifications
that are placed on the few [VOTE]s that are apparently cast in the blur of discussions.

I think the key matter is that there is not enough discussion to tease out consensus and even
find opportunities for lazy consensus.  Then a [VOTE] becomes a formal ratification in those
rare cases where such a thing is required (e.g., to back up a personnel action or take a resolution
to the Board).

I think these discussions about clustering/splitting the Commons Math components are very
useful and interesting to observe.  The use of [VOTE] is worrisome and apparently useless
other than for the attention it evokes.

 - Dennis

[ ... ]

> This (and new components VOTE thread) paints a more confusing picture
> than
> before to me.
>
> You are proposing to organize code into Commons Component/possible
> TLP/Attic/Something based on the current knowledge of some participants,
> including yourself, and I am grateful that you've been doing all this
> work.
> Part of me wants to stay out of the way and let the do-o-cracy play out
> but
> another part really feels this will be counter productive in the end
> (not
> to mention a lot of busy work.)
>
> As was mentioned by someone else before, people come and go, with
> different
> levels of expertise.
>
> For me, the keep-it-simple principle, not to mention least surprise says
> keep whole the pile in one place, in Commons or as a TLP, either way.
> Whether we use more than one Maven module here or as a TLP is a
> different
> matter and not relevant to the residence of the code base. We have other
> Commons component that have multiple modules, no big deal.
>
> Gary
[ ... ]