commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] About binary compatibility
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2016 22:55:19 GMT
Le 3/06/2016 à 00:09, Gary Gregory a écrit :

> -1
>
> Timing is irrelevant. You cannot control what will end up in an app stack.
> Once released, that's it unfortunately, otherwise, the door to jar hell is
> open.

Timing is relevant because the probability of jar hell increases with
time. If the version has been in use for 1 year there are more chances
that the API you'd like to break has been used somewhere than with a
version released only one week ago. And if someone complains we can
still revert the change and release foo 1.3.2.

I would call this "optimistic compatibility breakage", we should be able
to assess if the change is likely to cause issues in sensible use cases,
and if we make a mistake, just revert it.

Emmanuel Bourg