commons-dev mailing list archives

From Artem Barger <ar...@bargr.net>
Subject Re: [Math] Adding min/max and argmin/argmax values for an arrays of double/int (Comparable).
Date Mon, 30 May 2016 22:34:50 GMT
Hi

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 1:19 AM, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Tue, 31 May 2016 00:05:55 +0300, Artem Barger wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Lately working w/ Apache Commons Math, library I've found myself
>> implementing functions which given an array of either doubles of integers
>> return the min or max value among all elements of an array. Moreover I've
>> added an argmin/argmin functions as well, which for given array of
>> double/int values return an index of min/max element within that array.
>>
>> Since I didn't find such functions available in the project, I'm willing
>> contribute these function into the framework and was curious whenever it's
>> usable? Also what should be the right place to put these functions? I've
>> added them as static method for MathArrays class, however not 100% sure
>> this is the right place.
>>
>> Think further about these functions, I can easily make them work w/
>> instances of Comparable interface of accept Comparator<T> as second
>> parameter.
>>
>> What should be the right way to handle this?
>>

> It might be added to MathArrays indeed.
> Note that such a functionality is available in "RealVector".

​I might be looking on the wrong source tree, but I do not see it in
"RealVector".
Currently I'm using this repo: "
http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/commons-math.git"
and looking on master branch.

Anyway ​if such functionality is already exist in "RealVector", I guess
there is no point of adding
it to MathArrays, unless RealVector should be refactored and functionality
should be removed from
there.