commons-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VFS] WIP specific release instructions
Date Thu, 05 May 2016 17:31:52 GMT

sebb wrote:
> On 5 May 2016 at 05:49, Josh Elser<elserj@apache.org>  wrote:
>>
>> sebb wrote:
>>> Have a look at the scripts in
>>>
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/scripts/
>>>
>>> I used those for VALIDATOR and NET.
>>
>> Cool. Thanks for sharing. It would be good if the generic commons release
>> documents referenced these if they are expected to be re-used by other
>> commons projects' RMs.
>
> They are brand new, and possibly still needing some tweaks.
> They don't work wit Git.

Gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks for bringing them up.

<snip>

>>> No need to use package if using CP40
>>
>> What are you using instead of `package` to build the code...
>
> mvn deploy

Oh ok. I understand what you meant now. A package is still running,
you're just not explicitly invoking it.

>>> Or ignore the local copies and use Nexus2DistDev.sh which copies the
>>> bin/src artifacts from Nexus and deploys to dist/dev and can remove
>>> them from Nexus before closing the staging repo.
>>>
>>> AFAIK only the deploy directory (i.e. Nexus) has the hashes.

>>> I don't follow that.
>>
>> `mvn site` is invoking the "site" maven lifecycle phase. "mvn site:site` and
>> `mvn site:stage` are invoking executions on the maven-site-plugin. These are
>> two distinct kinds of actions. We can configure the maven-site-plugin
>> (and/or other necessary tasks) to run at the 'site' lifecycle phase for a
>> more 'natural' process.
>>

> I see.
>
> I meant I did not see why 'mvn deploy ' would/should create the site.

Ah, ok. (with some steps omitted) The lifecycle phases are: package ->
verify -> install -> site -> deploy. Running a deploy also implies that
the site is built.