commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: Is there an missing bit in the instructions for making a release?
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2016 19:52:17 GMT
On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 1:43 PM sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> "the regular process" is what is under discussion.

I meant the regular process used by the maven release plugin.  :)  That's
"regular" to me, because that's what I use all the time.  I think we have
an opportunity to streamline what we do here quite a bit.  One of the main
issues we have here is the assertion that tags must be immutable.  We have
two options that I can see, then (since folks are opposed to "burning"
version numbers):

1.  Make them mutable.  Then we can delete the tags when a release VOTE
fails and go at it again.
2.  Let the maven release plugin create  tags called "rc/foo-1.2.3-rc1" or
whatever while it's staging a release to Nexus for us.  Then, when the
release VOTE passes, we release the staging repository and copy the "rc"
tag to "releases/foo-1.2.3" and call it a day.

Thoughts?