commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.11 Based on RC2
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2016 09:35:37 GMT
On 2016-04-03, sebb wrote:

> On 3 April 2016 at 06:01, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 2016-04-03, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:

>>> Could we delete the tag 1.11-RC1 now?

>> AFAIR we keep all tags, even those for failed RC votes.

> Sometimes tags are withdrawn before a vote is called; I think it's OK
> to delete those, but it's best not to re-use the name.
> So the first vote might be called on RC3 ...

In this specific case we are talking about a tag for a failed vote - one
I canceled.

> For tags that have been used in a vote, we should certainly keep them
> until the end of the vote as it makes diffing easier.

> However I'm not sure that it is necessary to keep superseded tags once
> the vote is complete.
> As long as the tag URL and revision are in the vote e-mail, the
> contents of such tags can still be reconstructed.

Maybe, maybe not. I've decided to create the tag as a detached head. If
I remove the tag a garbage collection may remove the commit. In this
specific case it's no problem since the new tag for RC2 points at the
same commit, but it's not true in general.

Stefan