commons-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VFS] 2.1 clirr report
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2016 22:11:12 GMT
Hah, thanks for the details, Ralph. I will be sure to bring myself up to
speed.

That being said: I would still like to get some consensus from those who
will be voting from the PMC on what should be done, given the current
report (since my opinion and thus vote are non-binding :D)

http://home.apache.org/~elserj/commons-vfs/commons-vfs-2.1-site/

Ralph Goers wrote:
> FWIW, these discussions are not new.  You might enjoy reading these threads - http://www.mail-archive.com/user@commons.apache.org/msg03711.html.
But maybe not! ;-)

> Ralph
>

>> On Apr 29, 2016, at 12:43 PM, Ralph Goers<ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>  wrote:

that just push a
what you mean by "jar hell", but it sounds like this is not relevant to the source/binary
compatibility discussion (and thus not relevant to this thread). Please correct me if I'm
wrong.
gets runtime errors then, by definition, binary compatibility is broken.  This can happen
if the user implemented their own FileSystem and are using interfaces that have had new methods
added. It can happen if public methods have had signatures change.  If any of these happen
then Commons policy is that the package names must change and the artifact id must change,
as the jar is no longer compatible with the old one.  This allows the old jar and the new
jar to be used side-by-side.
>>> Ok. Can you point me at this documentation? Apparently the issues I take with
this are more engrained into all of Commons :)
>> I would have to search the dev mailing list but this has been discussed in the past.
 The first link below discusses the versioning policy but does not explicitly call out changing
the package name and artifactid. The second two links are example of release announcements
for incompatible releases.