commons-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Barnhill <ericbarnh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] "Help wanted!" Or not (?)
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:55:34 GMT
I don't see commons-math as legacy code. Just to look around my corner
of the world, ImageJ has a solid place in the biomedical imaging world
and commons-math is its workhorse. Second, I think Java is, or should be
anyway, a natural step outside of scientific computing environments like
Matlab or Octave for when the benefits of compiled code are important. I
think it's a lot easier to deal with in-Matlab Java than .mex files,
with their silly interface and their planned obsolescence. I think the
only reason Matlab-Java is used so much less is because the Matlab
interface is so buggy and lousy. I'm planning to start contributing to
Octave this year and see if we can't start outperforming Matlab on Java
integration pretty quickly.