commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] Dist layout change to per version directories
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2016 09:40:30 GMT
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:18:49 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 18/04/2016 10:48, Gilles a écrit :
>
>> IIRC, I was once corrected that this is not the component's name
>> (which
>> in this case would be "Apache Commons Lang").
>
> That's consistent with the site URL though:
>
>   http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-lang/

I know; and from a purely aesthetics ;-) POV, I also prefer a reference
to the "component" rather than the "id" which is a concatenation (of
a name and a version) that exists for practical reasons.

But isn't the change also for a practical reason, namely to avoid
confusing artefacts?

Hence I thought that the focus should be on the "id", contrary to e.g.
the web site whose primary focus is to document the "component".

> An alternative would be to use the version only:
>
>   lang/2.6/commons-lang-2.6-[bin|src].*
>   lang/3.4/commons-lang3-3.4-[bin|src].*

Perhaps.  It really depends on the issues which the change is trying
to solve; the new scheme should be a solution that does not create
new confusions.

Gilles