commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject [Math] "rebase" vs "merge" (Was: RNG refactoring)
Date Sat, 26 Mar 2016 19:00:55 GMT
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:56:26 -0400, Evan Ward wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the problem, but a good rule of thumb is that
> if
> you have pushed a commit

Did I?

What I wanted is
  * publish code ("feature-MATH-1335")
  * publish code ("feature-MATH-1158") that requires the new code
    present in "feature-MATH-1335"

So I "rebase"d "feature-MATH-1158" on "feature-MATH-1335" in order
to incorporate everything from there. [What "git" tells during this
operation looks like the right thing to do.]

By the way, I did the same with your change: I "rebase"d all my local
branches on "develop" after your merged your change to that branch.

What is the difference with "merge" and if "merge" should have been
used, then when does one use "rebase"?

Maybe I did the right thing; and it's just normal that there is an
email flood in such cases...

Thanks,
Gilles