commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Chen, Haifeng" <haifeng.c...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [crypto][chimera] Next steps
Date Sat, 27 Feb 2016 01:43:59 GMT
Thanks Bourg.

>> Even if Chimera doesn't implement a JCE provider due to its impractical nature, do
you think it would be possible to reuse the standard Java types (Cipher, SecureRandom) instead
or redefining them? The implementation could be instantiated directly (Cipher cipher = new
OpensslCipher()) instead of calling Cipher.getInstance().
JCE architecture is quite heavy weight for such abstractions. In JCE design rational, the
JCE Cipher class is not designed to be inherited or implemented by others. It's implementation
class for final use and wraps to the under layer SPI mechanisms.

>> Another question, will there still be an incentive to use Chimera once Java 9 with
the AES improvements is widely used? Should we consider Chimera as a temporary solution to
the current Java limitations?
There are some still some improvements will not happen in JDK 9 release. For example, Openssl
GCM will still 4x - 6x faster. Of source optimization is one aspect, the stream or io classes
build on it are also useful. Also consider that the release JDK9 will not available in some
time 2017. The wider adoption of JDK9 will be much later than that time I guess.

Thanks,
Haifeng

Le 24/02/2016 03:41, Chen, Haifeng a écrit :

> Hope this information helps. Thanks Bourg for these insightful questions.

It does, thank you for the insights.

Even if Chimera doesn't implement a JCE provider due to its impractical nature, do you think
it would be possible to reuse the standard Java types (Cipher, SecureRandom) instead or redefining
them? The implementation could be instantiated directly (Cipher cipher = new
OpensslCipher()) instead of calling Cipher.getInstance().

Another question, will there still be an incentive to use Chimera once Java 9 with the AES
improvements is widely used? Should we consider Chimera as a temporary solution to the current
Java limitations?

Emmanuel Bourg