commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Chen, Haifeng" <haifeng.c...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [crypto][chimera] Next steps
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2016 02:28:39 GMT
Thanks Benedikt, Uma, Gary, Ole, and Emmanuel Bourg for your support! It's great to have Chimera
to be part of Apache Commons.

>>[ Emmanuel Bourg] Define the scope of the project? Do we go after Bouncy Castle and
aim for an equivalent feature set?
Agree to make a clear scope of the project. The original Chimera scope is not go after a Bouncy
Castle style of library. It targets the gap between the application and the under cipher implementations.
For example, applications uses a lot of InputStream/OutputStream or Channel concepts to read
/ write a stream of data. Application can share these Crypto streams/channel implementations
abstracting various input and output types. Chimera also targets to very important performance
optimizations on AES which is used worldwide. I suggest this module to be still lightweight
and clear in involving, which is the same ideology of Apache Commons.

>> [Uma] Here I would like to introduce Haifeng, who lead the efforts in Chimera github
project.
Thanks Uma for introduction.

>> [Uma] Me and Haifeng had some discussion yesterday for the list to get commit prevs.
May be he could probably get list. Then I think Commons PMC can make a decision on it.
Chimera has 5 long standing contributors on github. We can also invite those who contributed
the HDFS encryption feature (HDFS-6134 and HADOOP-10150) to continue participate the involution
of this project if they want.

Thanks,
Haifeng