commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Technical objection (Was: [math] [POLL] new TLP name)
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2016 13:39:21 GMT
On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 12:53:53 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 2 February 2016 at 12:11, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:

>>> This choice:

>>> can potentially lead to legal and/or technical problems:
>>>   * name of the JAR will basically be "math.jar", easily clashing
>>>     with local toolboxes (also named without much imagination)
>>

>> apache-math-x.y.z.jar

Just, this is not the current naming:
"bare" name -> bare.jar

>> will fix the name clashing trivially.
>>

>>>   * name of the project will obviously be impossible to protect
>
> The name of the project will be
>
> Apache Math
>
> which *is* protectable.

Then if unique names or acronyms that are easy to identify are no
valuable arguments, we could have had

    ASL

It's shorter than "Math", if that is really what people like in it
(since no other good points were made AFAICT).

> This is no different from many other ASF projects which use common
> names that already have meanings.
>
> There are very few ASF projects whose bare names are
> protectable/protected

Is it a good reason to add another one?

Having a not already used and not likely to be used name can prevent
time
wasted later in trying to enforce the protection.

Gilles