commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Xu, Cheng A" <cheng.a...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [crypto][chimera] Next steps
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2016 01:45:16 GMT
Yes, we have implementations for both JCE cipher and Openssl Cipher. It's configurable for
user.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jochen Wiedmann [mailto:jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:40 PM
To: Commons Developers List
Cc: Hadoop Common
Subject: Re: [crypto][chimera] Next steps

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:14 AM, Colin P. McCabe <cmccabe@apache.org> wrote:

> Many CPUs come with built-in support for certain cryptographic and/or
> hash/checksum-related primitives.  For example, modern x86 CPUs have
> CRC32C implemented in hardware.  Currently, this must be accessed via
> inline assembly expressed in JNI.  It is worth it... at least in the
> case of checksumming, you often see 5x or 10x reductions in the amount
> of CPU used.  The gains for moving from pure Java to using the openSSL
> AES functions are similar.  Perhaps someday Java will gain native
> support for these features.  Until that point, though, JNI will be
> necessary to get reasonable performance on modern hardware.

Okay, I understand that you intend to give as good performance as possible.

However, keep in mind that "The thing works." is much more important
to users. And a dependency on JNI is a prime reason for failure to
work.

Therefore, I suggest that you provide at least fallback
implementations in pure Java, which are being used, if the JNI based
stuff is not available (for whatever reason).